Sunday 5 July 2020

Two dogs came to visit yesterday

and their human too of course.
J... is a friend of ours. She has always taken on a dog that needs to be "rescued" for one reason or another. Eight years ago she took on my uncle's completely undisciplined dog. My uncle had to go into a nursing home and of course the dog could not go with him. We did not know J.... at the time. How she trained that affectionate but idiotic animal is beyond me. It was an adult dog by then. From all accounts she did a good job and even occasionally travelled a long distance for my uncle to see the dog again. 
She rescued another dog in between that one and the current two. It was very elderly and spent the last years of its life in a comfortable home with slow walks to the end of the street "and sometimes around the corner".  J.... knows how to care for dogs.
These two have come from an elderly couple who could no longer care for two such lively dogs - lively even at the ages of eight and seven. She is still training them into her way of doing things. 
Would the Senior Cat like a visit from two dogs? Of course! He would love to have a dog but it would be completely impractical if not also downright dangerous. 
As I opened the front door they both bounded in without hesitation. So different from humans! 
The quieter of the two spent some time sitting on the Senior Cat but they both had to explore the parts of the house I had not shut off. I had been warned to do this!
There was dog related conversation of course. J... does not believe these two are particularly intelligent but they were definitely alert. They saw our visiting cat outside and barked. (The visiting cat is very intelligent. It simply looked at them and strolled on. No doubt he will tell me later just what he thinks of visiting dogs.) 
After they had gone though I thought that, pleasant though it was, I am glad we do not have a dog. Dogs are work, a lot of work. They are like small children in that they need to be registered, fed, bathed, trained and walked. There are also visits to the vet.
Cats are much more independent. 
No, I don't want another cat either - much as I am very fond of them. It is all too much work if you care for them as they should be cared for. 
I care about them too much for that. 

No comments: