Tuesday 21 July 2020

Protesting is the new hobby

for some people - or so it would seem.
Middle Cat and I are taking it in turns to visit the Senior Cat while he is in respite. We know other people are also going. We have warned them that they need to be able to show their 'flu vaccination certificates. That's fine. Nobody we know would be foolish enough to argue with the need to keep vulnerable people as safe as possible. We got our forms yesterday...and found the clinic had actually verbally advised them of our status the day the Senior Cat arrived.
Yesterday it was my turn to go and see him. I arrived and a distinctly harassed staff member let me in.
    "Can you make this gentleman see sense?" she asked, "He hasn't got a vaccination certificate and he is refusing to sign the Covid form."
    "I don't have to sign any f.... form just to see...."
I looked at him. Belligerent....rude...arrogant... it all oozed from him.  He closed in on both of us again. Social distancing isn't his thing either it would seem.
But it was enough for me. I said, "In legal terms you are now assaulting both of us."
    "F....hell I am!"
    "I am sorry but you are. If you touch either of us that will be battery as well and I am sure C.... here won't hesitate to call the police if you do that."
    "F.... lawyer I suppose?"
    "I do happen to have a degree in law."
    "Then f.... tell her she can't make me sign any f.... forms."
    "No, she can't but if you don't sign them then she does have the legal right to prevent you going any further."
He glared at me and opened his mouth. I got in first.
     "If you have come to see one of the residents then I suggest that you don't have a very high regard for them if you can't do the right thing."
He crumpled at that.
     "It's me mate's dad...I sort of have some bad news for him. I don't want to do it."
I left C...to handle the situation then. He was still upset but in a different sort of way.
As I left I saw him again. He was sitting in a room talking quietly to one of the residents. I suppose he had signed the Covid form and a statutory declaration about his 'flu  vaccination. He raised his hand to me in a sort of apologetic way and I managed a smile back.
I don't know what was wrong. I don't want to know. I did think that if he had explained the situation from the start then C.... would have found it much easier. 
I suppose he protested out of anxiety. Is that why some people go out and protest now? 

1 comment:

jeanfromcornwall said...

I can't remember the right terminology, but it is a recognised response to upset and anxiety - often seen in dogs and cats when they overgroom bits that don't need grooming. Concentrating on a side issue, because the main one is a bit much to handle. Unfortunate that you caught a side swipe from it, but understandable. Well done for playing your part in de-fusing the situation.