Friday 2 October 2020

Birthday presents

are a problem if someone is "not much of a reader" or "never reads anything" or "doesn't want a book" as a present.

My first thought is to give someone a book or something I have made myself. It is not always that easy.

It is Middle Cat's birthday today. She does read but not in the way that the Senior Cat, my brother or I read. We are going to pay a trip to the hardware store instead because Middle Cat needs things for the garden. Two days of really bad weather last week left some things in tatters and she needs to repair, replace and more. It won't happen today because we are heading for the hills. 

I have also bought her a large packet of something known as "Goldbears". I am not sure they are good for your teeth but she will share them with the humans who live in her house. The three cats will not be interested.

Today though we head for the hills. We are taking the Senior Cat to see the wife of one of his oldest friends. K....now has Alzheimer's and it is a "respite" day for his wife B....  The Senior Cat has been anxious to see her for some time and Middle Cat has promised to take him. It is easier for us to do that than get B... down here to see him.  For years B... has given me small gifts on my birthday  - really nice soap or hand cream for the most part. I would never buy such nice stuff for myself and she knows that.  I have knitted things for her and for K...  In winter K... still hugs himself into a blanket like pullover I made for him when he was out doing everything on their twenty acres of land. B... says he stills pulls out and tries to put it on himself. Then he sits and stares out the window down the hill into the gully behind the house. I wonder what goes on in his head now. What will he make of his birthday on Christmas Eve? We have ceased to give him books. He can't read them any more.

Another friend shares a birthday with Middle Cat. We don't exchange gifts but I have just sent her one of those irritating e-cards with a cat and balls of wool. She will, I hope, find it at least amusing.

And I am trying to decide on some small thing to give a special friend two weeks from now. I... is another knitter and crocheter. I dare not give her more yarn and her daughter keeps saying "You have too many books." How can you have too many books? I am wondering if some very special hand cream might be nice for her too? It is something she would not dream of indulging in for herself. 

That's the thing about birthday presents. They should be things that you wouldn't think of getting for yourself or things you need but don't quite like to spend the money on because it seems self-indulgent. 

Actually it really won't matter if nobody gives me any actual presents at all. I'd just like it if they remembered and told me "Happy Birthday" - and no, it is nowhere near my birthday yet.  

No comments: