Saturday 1 July 2023

Who is Taylor Swift?

I was asked this question yesterday by an elderly dog walker (in their 90's) who stopped for a moment to check on me.

"Some sort of pop star," was my response. He nodded and then said, "I don't understand the fuss they are making...all those people spending all that money to go to a concert."

I don't understand it either. There are two people I know who are flying interstate, paying accommodation for a night as well as paying for tickets to see this person perform.

Now she may be good, very good. I have no idea but I worked out that the cost for them both to do this is much more than I would be prepared to contemplate. The tickets cost between $79 and $379 each. The air fare is around $520. Accommodation I cannot guess at because I don't know where they are planning to stay or for how long. It won't be long though - two nights at most. Then there are the other expenses of food and transport to and from the concert. It will probably cost them at least $800 each for a couple of hours of entertainment.

They are excited and I really do hope they enjoy it - but I wouldn't do it.  If there was someone performing here, someone I really wanted to see perform in person then I might be prepared to pay for one of the cheaper tickets. And yes, I do know something  about the expenses involved in putting on these concerts. My late cousin was the manager for more than one very well known group. Some of his tales were hair raising. 

And I also thought of another group we grew up with, something quite different. The "Harold Raymond" concerts were given to raise money for what was then our residential school for blind children and deaf children.  They were put together by "Mr Raymond" and consisted of a small group of people, some of whom volunteered, Mr Raymond's pianist and Mr Raymond himself. Mr Raymond was blind but he travelled the state far and wide with the help of his pianist and the volunteers. The school children in each location he stopped in sold the tickets beforehand. There was the incentive of a small prize to do this. Local communities provided their community or church halls free of charge. I suspect their accommodation was also offered at a reduced rate. 

My parents, who had known Mr Raymond for years, always provided the whole concert party with a meal. I hope other people did the same thing. Any money saved went to the school. It helped. I worked weekends in the residential nursery school. It was a volunteer position too. It had to be. They were desperately short of money at times but the full time staff would sometimes, "That's a Raymond item" meaning it had been possible to buy it with money he raised.

Looking back the concerts were not very good but people went, not just to support the cause but because it was a rare night out. It wasn't the local "footy dance" which was about the only other entertainment. 

I wonder what would happen if they tried something similar now. There might be a few takers in remote areas because few people could afford to do what the young couple I know are doing. I really do hope they enjoy themselves - but I'd rather spend the money on something else.

No comments: