Sunday 20 August 2023

"Are you at all interested in the women's football?"

a friend in the UK asked me in an email.

The answer to that was, "No R... I am not." I am not sure he is either. It isn't something he has ever mentioned before.

I think "our lot" lost another match last, one that would have given them third place rather than fourth. No, I haven't looked at the result. I am going on the fact that there is nothing to be seen on the front page of the on-line paper. 

How quickly our heroes become nothing but losers again! 

It is very unfair on them. Even I can acknowledge that they worked hard. It isn't the sort of work I am interested in but I know enough about the psychology of sport to know there is more to this than physical fitness and the capacity to kick a ball.  Still, it is all too much about nothing important as far as I am concerned. There are more important things in life.

Nobody in this street seems to be very interested in any of this. There has been no green and yellow bunting on display. The neighbour across the road was wearing his old rugby top while cleaning his gutters - but then he is a Kiwi by birth and rugby is apparently the "thing" over the ditch. 

I cleared out a few things from the shed yesterday. I brought in about twenty photograph albums we had stored there because bookshelf space was at a premium. Over the years Middle Cat filled these albums for our mother. They were largely of her two boys doing things that boys do but there are no photographs of them kicking a soccer ball or a football. They played a minimal amount of soccer as required at school. That was it. They played basketball instead - perhaps not a great deal safer but at least you don't deliberately hit the ball with your head. They played tennis and cricket in summer and of course they still race go-karts. Yes, they have had their fair share of sporting activities.  I am not expected to take any great interest in any of them. They did not expect it of the Senior Cat either. He had even less interest in sport of any kind.

There are a few family photos on display in this house. I have simply left them there, those that the Senior Cat did like. None of them are sports related. 

But there will be families who now have all sorts of digital albums filled with pictures of their team at work and their own family members trying to emulate them. I just wonder how often they will look at these.  

No comments: