Tuesday 8 August 2023

The "protest" letter I wrote

about the council representatives spending rate payer money on a political campaign has resulted in two responses. I expected both of them. 

The first was an acknowledgment to say it had been received. The second was a one sentence response from a councillor which said nothing more than "thank you for letting us know how you feel". The response was nothing more than a pro-forma one sent by someone who does not even represent the ward I live in. It would be the same response they are giving possibly hundreds of other people - even those planning to vote "Yes" in the upcoming referendum. Most people simply do not believe council money should have been spent in this way.

Yesterday however I was accosted by a former neighbour who is a very strong supporter of the "Yes" side. She knows I am concerned by the proposal but she has never given me the opportunity to explain why. We have never sat down to talk it through. Like many people who are passionate about a cause she will hear nothing against it.  Yes, no doubt we are all guilty of that at times.

This time around however I have tried to listen, look and learn. I have talked to many people. I have read arguments for and against. I have heard debates for and against. I have sought out other material. At the start of my journey I felt uncertain, now I am concerned, very concerned.

My former neighbour is now treating me as if I am a poisonous snake which needs to be captured and cast out of the Eden she is so certain will be created when Yes prevails.

"You're not going to win Cat. You are on the wrong side of history. I didn't think you were a racist."

I have been told this more than once. It was all said again. She believes absolutely in teaching children in their "first language" and the idea "they have the right to live the lifestyle they choose". She will tell you there were "thousands of children stolen and we are still doing it". 

And yesterday she was applauding the council move to spend money on supporting Yes. "It should have been $100,000 at least, probably more. All these people who want the council to stick to roads and rubbish just don't understand how important it is."

I think many people do understand how important the issue has become. They understand how it is dividing the community rather than bringing it together. They are genuinely concerned for the future and the children of the future. 

Ideas have changed since 1967 - the year the policy of "removing" children from their families to get an education ceased. It was a policy I certainly feel was wrong. By 1997 the "Bringing them home" report had not only recognised that but made many recommendations and changes. 

Twenty-six years later ideas have changed again. Looking at the wish-list composed by those seeking to have control does not fill me with hope for the future. Council money would have been better spent on library books in English for the future.

 

No comments: