Saturday 23 December 2023

I sought help from an elf yesterday

and he did an excellent job.

I had consulted his mother earlier in the day. When was the best time for the activity packs to be delivered? Now? Later?

They are not Christmas presents as such but holiday presents. They are intended to keep small hands busy while other things are being done. 

"This afternoon. It will keep them all out of mischief while other things get done. They will use them. T... can put his elf hat on and deliver."

That made it much easier for me. I pedalled off to deliver tiny Christmas gifts to others knowing that the deed would be done. When I came back T... was riding his scooter up and down the footpath. He gave me a wave and a thumbs up. A little later he appeared at the door wearing his elf hat and a grin. His mother was behind him with a tiny present for me - something the two boys had helped make in the kitchen.

"I don't need supervising Mum!"

No, he doesn't. He is absolutely capable of delivering activity packs to two other houses and then taking home the two for his brother and himself. Our street is very short and he knows everyone in it. He's a lovely, responsible child. He is the sort of child teachers choose to take on leadership roles.

But two of the other children were outside as well and the next minute they were at the front door too. "Thank you!" (Mr 7yrs old) and "Thank you. I am going to make presents right now!"  (and Miss Just turned 5yrs old). They had done this of their own volition and that was good. "It's all right Cat. I watched them cross the road," T's brother H... told me. He's all of eight himself!

The other two children were not home but the packs were safely at their front door. I know I will hear from them later today. 

The late afternoon was very quiet. As I was doing some watering in the early evening there was a tired voice behind me from another mother, "Thank you so much Cat. I managed to get a lot done while they were occupied. It is going to keep them occupied for hours yet."

I hope so. There are another five weeks of summer holidays to go. 

No comments: