Sunday 3 December 2023

Pedalling problems

I went out to do some essential shopping yesterday. It was the second trip to the supermarket in a week and I was not happy about that as I have better things to do on Saturday afternoons. 

Coming out of the supermarket my mood nosedived even further. I discovered I had a flat tyre on the trike, a very flat tyre.  I also discovered I had left the mobile phone at home because I had put it back on charge. So, there I was with no means of phoning my BIL who might have been able to come and deal with the problem on the spot. What to do? It was much too far to wheel my little vehicle home.

I stood there considering options. Who might be willing to make a call for me? There was nobody around I knew and I couldn't remember my BIL's number anyway. I had Middle Cat's number in my bag but that would be a complicated business of someone letting me phone her (if she wasn't having an afternoon nap in the hospital and getting her to phone S... ) No, the answer was an "access" taxi. I looked around and decided the sensible option was to ask at the chemist. "Of course!" came the answer when I explained. It took them a while to get through and I was prepared for a long wait. Did I want to sit inside and wait? No, I opted to go out and wait because I had the shopping in the basket.

Access taxis can take a very long time to arrive (sometimes hours) but I was lucky, extremely lucky. Unbelievably there was one nearby. It arrived about ten minutes later. The driver had obviously been having his lunch because it was on the seat where I needed to sit. He expressed his commiserations, put the trike on board and cheerfully moved a very healthy looking lunch so I could sit there. After that it was a quick journey home and less expensive than I thought it might be.

I phoned my BIL who did not answer. He could have been anywhere. I phoned my neighbours across the road - phoned just in case they had visitors or had all gone off on their scooters or bikes to the park. S... answered and I put the problem to her. Could M....deal with the situation? The answer to that was "Of course!" They were just going out but wouldn't be that long.

And there was M.... at the door about ninety minutes later. He did what my paws were not strong enough to do. (I know what to do but cannot get the tube out.) It took him about eight minutes to put a new tube in, pump up the tyre and tell me he was glad I had asked for some help. His youngest screwed the cap back on the valve and gave me a paw pat and they went off.

I stood there for a moment thinking how very, very lucky I am to have such excellent neighbours. They really are wonderful. 

No comments: