Friday 23 February 2024

"What exactly is your "fair share"

of what someone else has worked for?" I wish I had been the person who had thought of saying that in that way.  It comes from the American economist Thomas Sowell.

S..., who mows the lawn, was here on Wednesday. It was a very hot day and I insisted on him stopping for a cold drink as well as taking a bottle of water with him. This is an arrangement I have with his wife. (It has been in place since he had a kidney stone some years ago - something which happened because he was not drinking enough. I may be only one stop in every two weeks but it is, as A... put it, "One more reminder to drink enough.")

He was talking about trying to get his very active MIL a place to rent at the age of 91. Her lease is up and cannot be renewed because the property is being acquired by the government. It means she will be homeless unless something can be found. In this case the government should perhaps be doing more than it is to help but the conversation moved on to people who own more than one property. S.... is of the view "If you have worked to buy it then good luck to you." He went on to say that he thought people who had worked for the things they had should, reasonable taxes for essential services aside, be able to keep those things for which they have worked. 

It was obvious S... has spent a lot of time thinking about these things. He sees work as something which should produce a reward. I will therefore try and save the article from this morning's paper in which Thomas Sowell is quoted. S... doesn't get a paper but he will be interested in the article. It says much the same as he was saying. It also queries the increasing amount of legislation which is being brought in by the present federal and state governments. It all seems to be concerned with "workers' rights". The Greens actually managed to sneak in a clause which would see employers in prison for contacting workers after hours. I asked a Green the other day whether that should apply to an employer calling an employee to say the factory was on fire and "get down here to save your job". I was stunned when their response was "Yes. That's the job of the fire brigade." 

I would want my boss to call me. I would want to go and help. I would want to do it because in order to get my "fair share" I would expect to work for it. Am I wrong?  

No comments: