Sunday 22 September 2024

Student accommodation is

something I think I am past wanting to live in.

I went to boarding school for one unhappy year. I worked in another boarding school for rather longer. It was an experience I tolerated in order to be able to do what I wanted to do. I volunteered in a residential nursery school at the same time. That was something I did enjoy. It was a challenge trying to communicate with very young and profoundly deaf children.

When I went to university in London I stayed in a student hall of residence. Many of the students were older and they came from all over the world. They were very interesting and often highly amusing companions. I hope they enjoyed my company as much as I enjoyed theirs.

Later still I lived in university accommodation here at two different universities. I was tutoring by then. I was not a young student. There were times when I felt the need to get away from them however nice and friendly they often were. 

I am not "into" modern "music", late nights, booze, pot and other drugs or emotional scenes over romantic break downs. Noisy cars and washing still on the line a week later bother me. I am simply too old a cat to be bothered with any of it.

So, yesterday's trip to one potential place of residence was over before I looked inside. The building was dirty, untidy and generally not well looked after. Even if the accommodation had been a good size I would have hesitated. This is not about "being fussy". It is about living with other people. In fairness they would not have wanted me there - except perhaps to mother them if they were ill or in need of someone to listen to them.

The other place has been on the market for some weeks. This is warning enough in itself. I went to look at it. I intended to go inside as there was an "open". I did not bother because even I could see the problem. There is a large crack in one wall, large enough for me to put my fingers in. I wonder what sort of repairs they are looking at. Will it be the same sort of issue there is with the place Middle Cat and I looked at recently? She managed to get hold of a report on that on Friday and discovered that some major structural work had been done but there was much more to do. If I had moved there the value of the place may soon have plummeted and there would have been very, very expensive repairs in the near future. 

So, I keep looking...and looking.  

No comments: