Wednesday 18 September 2024

We need to rethink housing

in this country. We need to think how it is done and how much space we need to accommodate the future population.

Yes, I am looking for housing right. Yes, it is a problem. It is a big problem.

What has interested me is that it would appear to be much more difficult and expensive here than it is in Scotland. I have been looking.

Why Scotland? No, I am not going to move there. I would if I could - despite the weather! I have no right to live there. My interest is simply that the chief of our clan has his home on the market right now and I was sent a picture of it on the website belonging to the real estate company. It was interesting in that it was a rather large house of a certain style and would, if the clan had been able to afford it, have made an interesting B&B perhaps. 

That was not really interested me. Out of curiosity I had a quick look to see what the price of the sort of housing I am wanting was selling for there. I expected it to be at least as expensive and almost certainly much more than it is here. I was shocked to discover it was about half the price I expected. (Yes, I am correct. I double checked and considered the exchange rate.) 

This morning I looked again on a site called "Right Move" because someone I know has her house up for sale. Even a property in central Edinburgh of similar size to one here was cheaper, much cheaper. Taking into account the difference between the likely annual salaries of people does not begin to account for the difference. So, what is going on? I have not looked at the rental market there. That may provide some clues.

Still, all this made me wonder what has happened here. I have talked elsewhere of people wanting their free-standing houses on what used to be "quarter acre blocks". In my several times a day perusal of the real estate sites here I came across a piece of land for sale. It was said to be "127sqm". The minimum size for a "unit" (attached housing) is supposed to be almost twice that. I can only assume anyone who buys that tiny spot will go "up" rather than "out". 

Two story housing is becoming more common in this country, indeed is common in some areas. Nevertheless there are still a lot of single level dwellings. A friend who was here yesterday mentioned a house she had seen on one of her early morning walks. It has been up for sale for some time. It is in a "nice" area where the housing tends to be very expensive but perhaps this is too expensive or perhaps the two levels are putting people off? 

I wonder what will happen next. I really do not see the plans of the present government succeeding. They say they are trying to provide people with the ability to "own" their own homes but there are major flaws in their arguments. They say this housing will be available for people who cannot save a deposit and for domestic violence victims who will otherwise be without housing or homeless women. That last I find highly improbable because their plans do not include me. 

I really do believe there are other and better ways of handling the housing crisis.  In doing it we may all need to lower our expectations about what we live in and where it is situated.  Yes, I know what you are now thinking but I hope my expectations are not unreasonable. I will just keep looking...and hoping.  

No comments: