Tuesday 8 March 2011

I think the giant carrots may

be lurking again. I should have been watching more closely.
The carrots are my father's responsibility. It is his garden. He grows the carrots. He picks them. We both eat them.
He brought some "carrot thinnings" in recently. They were very nice - young, tender, flavoursome and presumably packed with nutrition. We ate them raw.
I made the mistake of assuming that none of the other carrots were yet very big. This was quite wrong. Some of them are rather large if the size of those feathery green tops and the orange-brown discs peeping above the earth are any indication of size.
I snatched one from the earth yesterday. It was an elegant thing, almost triangular in shape. I was tempted to see if I could get it to spin like a top. I did not.
We ate that one raw too. It was much larger but still quite tender. I scrubbed it and cut it into pieces.
Now however I am contemplating carrot in quantities. Carrot soup? Carrot quiche? Carrot mash? Carrot bread? How else do I use carrot?
Perhaps we should buy a rabbit?

5 comments:

Sheeprustler said...

Carrot cake is probably too obvious. Carrot soup is one of my favorites, especially if you add another orange vegetable along with it. But more usefully, maybe you have some friends who would like a glut of carrots, maybe in return for something of theirs that they have too much of? I always think that is one of the pleasures of gardening, that one can swap produce, especially when it is something as useful as carrots.

Anonymous said...

Just don't get a pair of rabbits Cat!

widdershins said...

Chicken soup ... lots of chicken, ginger, shredded carrots, a spot of vinegar, and orzo (a grain kinda like long-grain rice) ... best thing for a cold or comfort food... goes well with what they call biscuits over here (Canada) but are really a version of a scone

Anonymous said...

Cat,

I just hope a few cooler days will slow down the march of tomatoes and cucumber. Especially the latter! I eat it fresh, so I really do not need eight at a time!

Judy B

catdownunder said...

We are not really a cake eating household unfortunately. I have disposed of one large one so far and given six larger carrots away! Chris - that has to be you - only you would think of the potential of a pair of rabbits!
Yes Widdershins I know biscuits (spent a summer doing research in Canada - some of the friendliest people on earth!)
Judy if you ever work out the secret of "continuous supply" instead of "glut and drought" please let me know!