Sunday 6 March 2011

I think if I am serious about this writing

thing it is time I found myself an agent. It is a whole new path full of potholes and other dangers. I may even reach that point where I have to steady all four paws and leap across a chasm left by an earthquake. I hope I do not leave too much fur along the way and arrive completely looking like an alley cat who has to fight for every meal.
This sort of journey takes time away from writing. I am currently working my way through a list of websites belonging to agents. Do they represent writers for children? No? Discard. Are they accepting submissions? No? Discard - or put to one side if they may be accepting in the future. Yes? Who do they represent? Do I know the work of these authors? Do they represent overseas authors or have representation in Australia? What are the submission guidelines? Do they charge a reading fee? Will they take e-mail submissions? Are there any caveats on other websites?
I can ask all these things but there is still a problem? Will I be able to work with someone if they agree to represent me? I have written a number of books now. Some of them languish in "the bottom drawer". They may yet see light of day but they need work, Someone I have not met but whose judgment I would trust read another and made some valuable comments. I may yet be able to take those on board and produce something worthy of publication. I put it to one side for the moment.
I have written another. Penguin was taking unsolicited manuscripts so, in a fit of insanity, I sent the proposal off. It was ignored. That does not surprise me. They must have had thousands of proposals and it is entirely possible that not all of them were even read. The University of Queensland Press was also taking unsolicited manuscripts for a very limited time. I have not heard from them - yet. They are still well within the time frame for a reply. I also know that I would be incredibly fortunate to succeed on the second submission.
I really do believe I have written something worthwhile but I am also terrified that others may not see it this way. My family thinks I am slightly mad anyway. I do not even mention writing to them.
I am writing yet another book. I have no idea where the idea came from or why I should be the one to write it. There is another plotting itself away in the back of my mind.
I really do need an agent - or perhaps someone to tell me that I really am insane and need to stop. Then perhaps I could take up a hobby - or even another catnap?
Until then I will spend some time talking to my young hero. He's a nice kid but he is rather lonely.

13 comments:

Old Kitty said...

I think you need to be a little insane to be in this publishing writer-ly business!! So GO GET YOURSELF AN AGENT :-)!!! You have a book and it needs publishing!!
:-) Good luck and good for you and all the best!!!!!

Take care
x

Barb said...

Best of luck, Cat. I look forward to hearing how things go.

Nicole said...

*hugs* it's not an easy road and you have to remember that it doesn't mean your work is no good just because someone doesn't want it. I hate to say this but seeking traditional representation in the current market is a risky and tough business. Good luck and if you need anything I'll be happy to help :) just let me know :)

Nicole said...

and don't worry bout your family, mine still haven't read my book and mum thinks anyone who posts a good review is being 'nice'....

Miriam Drori said...

Good luck, Cat. As long as you're ready for rejections, what can go wrong? And my family doesn't believe in me either.

widdershins said...

Finding the right agent is hard.

Finding one that will represent you, way harder.


Stopping writing, not an option.

Vanessa Gebbie said...

I admire your tenacity, Cat. One more idea for your strategic plan... see if a colleague who knows your work well will recommend you to their agent. (If that agent is right/suitable, for your work, of course.) I am eternally grateful to the friend who recommended me to mine.

I have done the same for others. So far, one writer has been taken on, two rejected. In these difficult days, thats not bad.

catdownunder said...

Thanks for all the comments. I spent some time today looking at the websites of agents trying to find out who represents some of the writers I like or I think might have agents interested in what I write. Very difficult! So many of them are not taking on anyone new and others say so little about what they do I am wary.
Vanessa that is a very good idea - but I do not know any writers here. I used to but they have died or long since moved on out of my life! I'll work on it.

Anonymous said...

Cat, you are crazy - just start submitting to one agent after another until someone takes you on. Someone will. YOU CAN WRITE!

Unknown said...

'You think it's time you found yourself an agent?' You and me both! I wish...

Anonymous said...

Good luck, cat.

catdownunder said...

Thankyou all - Donna I read your words of wisdome and am now terrified the same thing will happen to me but will work on it anyway.

Anonymous said...

When you think it's ready for an agent, then the best thing to do is send it out!! Best of luck to you!!!