Friday 19 August 2016

The law is behind technology

with respect to any number of things. This is causing problems in any number of areas - most notably medicine.
It wasn't medicine which concerned me yesterday but the relatively simple affairs of a group I belong to. The committee which runs the group thought it would be a good idea to change the means by which they do their banking. 
"Let's do it on-line," someone must have said.
"Good idea," must have been the response. "We'll put it to everyone at the next meeting."
Oops.
Yes, on the surface it may sound like a good idea. Somehow though I spent a good deal of time yesterday before I came to the conclusion that it could not be done quite as simply as the committee thought. It requires a change to the constitution of the organisation because an act of parliament overrides the constitution of the organisation. It also requires the setting up of the means to do it with such things as PINs and a  "business number" - not needed at present. 
It also requires the agreement of the membership to a certain invasion of privacy. It was this that alerted me to  what was going on. The secretary believed I needed to be reimbursed for something. (I didn't. It was a misunderstanding.) She sent me a letter asking for the receipt and for details of my bank account so she could put the money in. The implication in the letter was that the change had already been agreed to and I would meekly hand over my personal details. 
No, I won't. I know it would be difficult for someone to actually access my account and remove money from it but it could be done. Home computers are notoriously unsafe and, while I don't doubt the honesty of those directly involved, the fewer people who have such details the safer it is for me.
It will be interesting to see what happens now. I wonder whether the membership will just meekly agree to the change or whether there will be a vigorous discussion? 

No comments: