Tuesday 30 August 2016

Writing reports

is not my favourite occupation. I had to write four yesterday. Two were related to my work but the other two were related to knitting.
It was the last two which proved difficult.
I write a "steward's report" as feedback for the knitting guild and the same group also needed a report on the library. Trying to find ways to say what needed to be said and not sound too negative or upset anyone was difficult.
The judge makes some of the same comments every year. This year they rarely applied to the guild but this was not because people had done the right thing. They had simply not bothered to enter any items. It is going to be difficult to find out why without sounding critical. 
I don't want to criticise because I know there can be good reasons not to do something. One person who has been entering beautiful work for years has had a stroke. She didn't finish her entries and we both know she won't be putting anything in again.  I know another person has never put anything in. She has never considered her work to be good enough. (It is more than good enough.) Other people simply don't want to risk the entry fee.
But the real problem is that most people simply can't be bothered to make the effort. There is an awareness that some people have less time for craft work and that some people are reluctant to spend large sums of money. Some of the classes recognise that. Socks, hats, amigurumi, and the "100gm challenge" classes are all there for people with little time but a desire to create. 
But, I wrote things. I hope I sounded polite and positive even if I was not enthusiastic. Writing it gave me ideas for workshops, for things people like to know or try, for information people need if they are to increase their knitting and crochet skills. I couldn't put any of that into the report. I can't even suggest these things to anyone. It's frustrating.
And the other report, the one on the library, relates to this as well. I know the book stock. I have made it my business to know what is inside the books, where a pattern might be find, and how to find out how to do something. Someone may ask one day.
But, I wonder why reports are written. They apparently need to be written. I wonder though whether anyone reads them.
Will I just have to once again write the same things in yet another way next year?

4 comments:

Jodiebodie said...

It has been suggested to me many times to enter my crochet into the show.

Here are reasons why I haven't:
a) I don't need a ribbon to verify that I can crochet and crochet well
b) My budget is so tight that I can't justify paying an entry fee
c) health concerns limit my ability to get the piece(s) in and out of the exhibition on time
d) horror stories from other people who have entered items in shows only to have them mutilated by well-meaning volunteers mistreating their items and using incorrect methods to display them
e) even more horrific stories of people's 'pride-and-joy pieces' going missing or being stolen

I hope this helps.

catdownunder said...

But that scarf you showed Prudence and me would have one a prize and then you could (dare I say this?) buy more yarn!
I understand (b) and (c)
(a) mmm...but good to be able to say, "prize winning crocheter" and I hope both (d) and (e) are no longer issues - I went berserk at the way things were displayed some years ago and the system now in place makes it hard for things that actually arrive to go missing!

catdownunder said...

oops! "won" not "one"!

Jodiebodie said...

That's heartening to know that systems have been implemented to deal with issues. Maybe I will reconsider - having a ribbon to recognise the expertise may be desirable when trying to sell my work and expertise.

I'm glad you voiced your concerns strongly to improve things.

Thank you for your kind compliment about my scarf.