Monday 26 February 2018

Workspace, workspace,

WORKSPACE!
I actually work from a desk situated in the corner of my bedroom. It is far from an ideal situation and I have firm rules about switching off the computer and ignoring the screen so that I get enough catnap time.
There is nowhere else to work  unless I move into the living area of the house. That would add to the clutter there.  It would also lack any privacy. 
I therefore sympathise with the university staff who are saying they would rather work at home than in the "open plan" office space which has been designed for them. 
Who designs these things? My youngest nephew has just been head-hunted and gone to a new job. At his old work place he didn't even have a desk. He just took whichever desk was available when he arrived at work. If he arrived very early he might get a good position. If he had appointments on the way - very likely - then he would get whatever was left. 
My cousin has been "working from home" for the past six weeks. What it actually means is that he has been avoiding winter in London and working from the corner of his bedroom here. It hasn't been a problem. He adjusted the times at which he worked so he could, if necessary, consult his colleagues. He has a designated desk at his place of work in London - but only because severe back issues mean that his work place has been individually designed for the benefit of his back. Other people take what they can get there too.
These open plan work places are described as being "integrated". I am told you are supposed to be able to "consult and coordinate" with your colleagues so that the workplace becomes more cooperative". 
Really?
I am told by those who work in them that they are no more integrated than any other work areas, indeed that they might be less so. I am told that consultation and coordination don't increase but that bullying and harassment can cause lower levels of cooperation. Lack of privacy is an issue where confidential material is involved, especially if not everyone has the necessary clearance to work with certain documents or materials. In a laboratory the lack of a designated work area can be downright dangerous. 
I have been co-supervising two doctoral students. One has just submitted. They are both on the other side of the world at a university far from here. We have had long "conversations" over the internet. They have seen their other supervisors in person but rarely. The work environments have not been conducive to seeing students because they are now "open plan".  If the weather was fine supervisor and student would head outside to the relative quiet.
I am told by those who work in these open plan spaces that they are noisy. My rare phone conversations with colleagues who work in these places convince that they can be very noisy. 
I like quiet. I need quiet. It is the only way I can work. There is no chance I can work against the noise of the radio. I don't want to hear other people's conversations and especially not their arguments.
I suspect that "open plan" is another term for "save money". Was all the research designed to do just that?
 

No comments: