Tuesday 19 June 2018

And yet more yarn

was given to me yesterday. It was not intended that I should keep it but I still had to deal with it. 
I was stopped in the local shopping centre by a very pleasant woman who said,
     "I have some wool...."
I always wonder whether it will really be "wool" or whether it will be something else. Not so long ago a really experienced knitter showed me some "mohair" she had been given. It was not mohair at all. It was quite good quality but it was acrylic.
     "I didn't like to tell her but wouldn't you think she would read the label?" the other knitter told me. 
Mmm....it seems not. Some people just go by, "it feels nice" and who can blame them?
      "I'll drop it off sometime for you to pass on," my acquaintance told me yesterday.
It actually arrived late morning. Her husband delivered it on his way to his brother's place of work.
      "L......wanted to get it out of the house."
I thanked him and, after he had gone, took a look. If it was acrylic it would go to one place. If it was wool it would go to another. If L... said it was wool though it would be likely to be wool. 
It was wool. It was old, very old. Some of it was partially knitted. L... is of the "waste not, want not" generation so it didn't surprise me.
But I am not sure how useful it will really be. I have emailed the person who often collects such donations from me and told her that I could deliver it to someone else. It isn't worth her making the trip to collect it but some of it at least should be able to be used as beanies for the homeless. 
Yes, someone will make use of it somewhere - and that's all that matters.

No comments: