Sunday 24 June 2018

Getting out of bed in the morning

when it is dark, cold, damp and much too early is not a happy thought.
I am used to odd working hours - mostly early morning hours. I am not a late to bed sort of person. This has something to do with the global nature of my work. Early morning here will be a reasonable time in quite a number of places with which I am likely to need to be in contact.
My brother is much the same. He leaves the house by six in the morning to get to work early enough to get administrative matters out of the way. He works on the train as well. At that hour in the morning he can almost always get a seat. 
Middle Cat, now "retired", doesn't need to be up so early. Unless she needs to be somewhere she can sleep through until mid-morning. 
I have never been able to do that. 
Even as a teenager I did not "sleep in". I doubt any of us would have been permitted to do that. We didn't lead wild social lives. We were not permitted to do that either. On the rare occasions we were allowed to go somewhere we were still expected to be up at the same time in the morning. Middle Cat always found that difficult. The Black Cat would snarl too. My brother and I just accepted that we needed to be out of bed and in the kitchen eating breakfast no later than seven in the morning - usually much earlier than that. We might have lived next door to the school (headmaster's residence) but it made no difference. My parents would be in school by eight and we were expected to be there too. Finished your homework? Right. Here's some more work. Haven't finished your homework? What have you been doing? No, that's not good enough. My mother had no time for "slackers". She was the one who saw to it that we did the extra work. (No, I am not sure it did us much good. It just made us resentful.)
When they retired my parents still didn't stay in bed in the mornings. There was always too much to do. My mother was, until her last illness, still out in the kitchen by six.  I used to long for some quiet time to myself. I wanted to prowl through the paper for just five minutes while eating my own choice of breakfast cereal thank you very much.
Now the Senior Cat and I breakfast at different times. I spend five minutes reading the state newspaper - about all the time worth devoting to it - and he reads it later in a much more leisurely fashion.  I let him sleep unless he has to be somewhere and has asked me to wake him up.
This morning there is an Open Forum he needs to attend at church. It is held between 8 am and 10am services.  (A good idea as it limits the time!) But it means he needs to be there earlier than usual.
So Sunday, the day of "rest", I roust him out of bed. He's eating his cereal right now. He thanked me for waking him  up. 
I don't think we ever did that as children.

No comments: