Thursday 19 July 2018

Making cake

- yes, I did say "cake" is not something I do very often.
The Senior Cat and I do not eat cake very often. We get cake given to us at Christmas time by our friend P.... She makes a very, very superior fruit cake. 
It is extremely rich cake. It takes us a very long time to eat it. We ate the last two pieces in February this  year. 
But, I need to make cake. The library staff need cake. Next week they are moving books, a lot of books, from one location to another.
It is all part of the renovation process. Yes, they need cake.
Moving books is hard work.
The Senior Cat made the mistake of packing his books in tea chests when we moved from one location to another. It seemed sensible at the time but the removal men did not like it. The Senior Cat felt dreadful. He had no idea that a tea chest of books could weigh so much...and there was of course more than one tea chest. 
I was given an almost thigh high pile of knitting books recently.  Sadly the only sensible thing to do was pass them on - although I was greatly tempted to keep some of the new books in the pile I knew I had to give them all away. 
There was no way I could have put them all in the basket on the back of the trike so I told the long suffering Secretary of the group I belonged to and yesterday she came to pick them. Like a sensible woman she brought bags with her. They were still heavy but she weighed down the rear of her car with them and the Senior Cat is no longer in danger of falling over that pile. 
But the library cannot be rid of books like that so the staff need to shift them. I would offer to help but I would be more nuisance than I am worth trying to do that. So, on talking to one member of the staff it was, "Why don't you make us some cake Cat? We'll need something to keep us going."
Yes. Good idea. Cake. Cake can solve a lot of problems. Cake can be shared. You can have mugs of tea with cake.
Perhaps I had better deliver some tea bags as well?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Will the book transfer be done as the Latvians did theirs?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/books/booknews/10586820/Paper-chain-thousands-of-Latvians-unite-to-move-books-to-new-national-library.html

No mention of cake. Perhaps they could have done whole whole job (not needing the transport mentioned in the last paragraph) if there had been cake.

Good luck and good eating.

LMcC

Anonymous said...

Hi Cat
Want an easy fruit cake recipe?

3 cups dried fruit, soak in 1.5 cups orange juice for 1 hour
Add 1.5 cups SR Flour, mix well
Bake for about 45 minutes at 160C, till skewer comes out clean

easy, and suitable for vegans :-)

Cheers
Linda