Saturday 7 July 2018

There was a power cut

in the night. I woke because there was a "bang" somewhere. It was not the sort of "thump" that I am worried about these days... the sort of thump which says the Senior Cat has fallen over and which would mean calling for help in the middle of the night.
No, a bang somewhere. The power was out so I can only assume that something went wrong at the sub-station not too far from here. If it had been an accident there would have been sirens very quickly as there is an ambulance and fire station not too far away as well.
I thought of all this as I wondered exactly what the time was and whether it was worth trying to go back to sleep or whether I should just get up early.
I got up and looked at my watch. No, too early to get up. I prowled back to bed and curled up feeling cross. Then I thought I should not feel cross because someone was out there in the rain and wind trying to fix the problem. Yes, they were being paid for it but it was still an unpleasant thing to have to do - and possibly dangerous as well. 
The council was doing some work in our street yesterday. One of the workers told me to wait while they moved something out of the way so I could pedal past. Aware that tires and hot tar don't mix very well I went round the long way...and got an approving nod. That's a messy job too.
In a street much closer to my destination I suddenly came face-to-face with an enormous  vehicle. The tyres on that were taller than I am.  It was moving very slowly along the street.
Not even feeling safe on the footpath I was about to turn tail and go another way when it stopped. 
     "Come on love. You're safe," a workman called, "He's a blimin' snail, this one."
I zipped past as fast as I could calling out my thanks.
That thing was so big they were having trouble with it. I'd  hate to have the responsibility for it.  What it was or what it was  doing remains a mystery. It's just another job I would hate to have to do.
I pedalled on thinking of those trying to rescue the boys trapped in the cave. I hate enclosed dark spaces. A childhood experience comes back to me each time I am in anything even remotely resembling it. 
The world is full of jobs I would not want to do in the least. I am just lucky other people seem willing to do them.

3 comments:

Jodiebodie said...

It was very gusty in our part of the world that night. One of my family members was woken in the night and thought it sounded like the roof would blow off - then we woke the next day to the news that much of the city had power outages and some people actually did have their roofs blown off (poor things). There were trees down in our district so quite a busy time at the moment, thanks to the weather. I am glad that your home also remains unscathed.

Anonymous said...

I am sure you would thank and be grateful for help and good manners from a man - or a woman. You often give examples of when you have helped others. People helping people and good manners - the more, the better!

LMcC

catdownunder said...

We were lucky Jodie!
And I am sure both of you help out when you can too