Saturday 18 August 2018

No photographs of

your resident cat will appear on these pages. 
I have however had a photograph taken of the latest ridiculous creation that has managed, somehow, to fall from my paws.
Here it is below. I have not worked out how to put it into the middle of the text - where all you more technologically able people would no doubt manage to put it without any difficulty. 
Now there needs to be an explanation of the madness this represents.  I had, as I think I said yesterday, one skein of the variegated blue cotton given to me by my wonderful friend M.... in the US.
It took time to work out what to do with it. I liked it a lot. I wanted to put it into something that could be worn - so that other people could see it. Knit stripes? No. That was not the answer. 
I had done the vest with the nameless flowers - nothing like real life flowers. I had made other vests with odd shapes - but I had knitted those. It still did not seem right to knit this  yarn. I would crochet it.
I used up all but the last 3cms of the yarn and made a lot of shapes. As I was working on that I kept looking for other yarn that might go with it. There was yarn left over from other projects...no, not quite right. 
I could not match the blues. Nothing seemed right. I looked at the other colours in the skein. What did I put with it? Someone gave me a cone of wild silk - what was left from something she had made. It has some texture and it presented possibilities. It is a strange shade of not quite grey or brown or green. Alone I couldn't handle the colour at all but I made more shapes. Then I added dark grey and very pale grey.
I made the outline, as I had done before, with some i-cord on a piece of polystyrene. The pieces went down at random all over the outline. I changed things around...that piece would fit better there. This piece needs balancing out. I need another shape similar to that piece. And so it went on. I left it there for days. 
It still looked dull and lifeless. I was wondering what I could add when someone else I know called in and said,
        "You need something like that."
        "I know. I but I don't have anything like that."
But, after she had gone, I thought of something else. The idea seemed almost counter intuitive but I tried it by  making a couple of small pieces of the tan. I put them in. Yes, that was more like it. It still wasn't quite right but it was on the way. 
I did more thinking and went hunting in the stash for the yellow left over from the flower vest. Mmm...if I used it then then pieces needed to be small or it would overpower everything, detract from the variegated blue I liked so much. I made tiny pieces and added them. 
The larger pieces are all geometric shapes - squares, circles, pentagons, hexagons, triangles and octagons. The tan and yellow pieces have been made to fill in the gaps. I would chain a few stitches and see if they would fit the edge of a space, decrease or increase as seemed to fit using single, double and treble crochet stitches to make the shape. 
I put most of it together with a crochet hook. 
And yes, it's done. But,as I said yesterday, that slight insanity has hit again. I have ideas. I may have a new train project...the pieces for another one. Should I do it?No automatic alt text available.

3 comments:

Jodiebodie said...

Thanks for the photograph! I love the blue and it unifies the shapes and defines the vest. I agree that the warm tonnes of yellow and tan are important to complement the blue. Well done! What was the name of the blue yarn, Cat?
It is useful and interesting to learn about others' design processes. There are so many ways to approach a project. Thank you so much for sharing yours.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the photo! But I would love to see it soon, maybe you could bring it next time we catch up....
Linda

Anonymous said...

Lovely to see the photo. Well done for the design and crocheting, and getting the photo on to the blog.

I was talking on Thursday to a friend about one of my projects which I have been thinking about, on and off, for over thirty years. Her suggestion was "Why not try something like what Prudence Mapstone does? Possibly knitting, not crochet." I am thinking of knitting the shapes and joining them with crochet. I will report back in another ten years...

LMcC