Friday 10 August 2018

Our neighbours

are back.
They have spent the past seven weeks in Europe, in the country in which S.... was born. It is one of those former Communist countries and from what S.... has to say it is still suffering the consequences of having been one.
I wonder how many generations it is going to take to move away from some of the excesses of Communism? According to S.... officials still need to be bribed. Older people have expectations of the state - expectations of both good and bad with which they grew up.
They didn't bother to send the boys to school there. Although it might have improved their second language skills the time was too short. According to S.... there would have been other issues too. Education there is run along quite different lines.
I know when I see S.... she will tell me that she is glad to be back here even while she misses her family there.
Each time she has done this it has made me wonder about the way people migrate. I have an Italian friend who came here when she was twelve. She is now seventy-six and she has never been back to Italy. Would she like to go? I think she would but she won't. It isn't a journey she could physically make now.
I have English friends who have been backwards and forwards many times but don't want to live there any more. I have Vietnamese friends who went once about eight years ago - and came back "home" early even though they talked of going "home". Vietnam was not  home any more. They didn't like it there. 
My BIL's family migrated from Cyprus. Yes, he and his siblings were born here but they are the first generation to have been born here. 
I have other friends from other places and they all have their own views about where "home" is. 
We say things like, "I'm going home" and "I'm leaving home". We mean the place where we will sleep that night or where we will no longer sleep in the future. But is that all "home" is. It seems to me that "home" is more than that.
For other reasons I was reminded of Chapter 5 in Wind in the Willows - "Dulce Domum". Somehow Kenneth Grahame has managed to portray the essence of the word "home" in that chapter. I went and reread it again - and it made me feel "homesick" again. It is not a comfortable feeling. My second cousin's wife once described it as "the worst feeling in the world". It is. It is also one of the feelings which make us human. 
I think "home" is memories.

2 comments:

Katherine Langrish said...

How right you are, Cat! I was reading The Wind in the Willows to my mother when she was in hospital, and the chapter Dulce Domum was particularly poignant, yet consoling too as it expressed so much of what we were feeling. I was determined she shouldn't die in hospital and I'll never forget her smile when I told her she was coming home.

catdownunder said...

Thanks for that Katherine. I gave it to Ms W to read this morning (the child I am in loco parentis for at times)when I realised this was a book she had not read and wondered how she would react. She is a thoughtful but very definitely 21stC child. When she had finished it she was quiet for a bit and then she said, "I think that's a bit how I feel when I come home from school at weekends - I mean like I'm properly home and it's all there."
Then she hugged me and disappeared. (She is a weekly boarder at school because her father is a single parent.)