Wednesday 22 May 2019

I saw one of my first students

yesterday. 
I had not seen him for some time. The last time I saw him was when he had demanded the right to make his will - not a simple matter for a man in his position.
I have sometimes wondered whether he is even still alive. He is so profoundly physically disabled that there was every possibility he was not.
Yesterday though there was that sound behind me, that sound I would have known anywhere. The one that commanded my intention. I turned automatically - all the years in between teaching him and now suddenly non-existent again.
There he was - grinning at me. He had recognised me from some distance away - before I even saw him.
I'd know that sound, that grin anywhere. It was the grin which says, "I know something! I need to talk."
P.... was the little boy whose migrant parents didn't speak much English, whose older brother had to come and translate. He was the child who was thought to be profoundly retarded when the only problem was that he simply didn't understand English when they first tested him. P... was the child who wanted to learn so much.
I gave P... an unfair amount of time. I know that I did but he was the one child capable of learning to read. I knew if I could teach him to read he could go on to educate himself. He was that sort of child.
P.... couldn't speak. He still can't speak. He still relies on eye gaze to communicate. He still uses the communication boards I made for him all those years ago. He has two - one in English and one in both Greek and English. It depends on the situation which one he uses. They both have 512 symbols - the maximum number for which we could eye code. When they are combined it is those symbols, Blissymbols, which give him a vocabulary of more than 3000 words - perfectly adequate for everyday conversations.
When I saw P... yesterday he was on his way to the local library with his sister-in-law. His parents, with whom he still lives, were away for a few days. "Wedding cousin" he told me. He "speaks" in a sort of short hand, especially with people who are likely to understand him when he does that.  His SIL just stood there letting the two of us talk. She didn't attempt to take over. That was good. They are obviously fond of one another.  
P... spends much of his day reading. He likes crime fiction, science fiction, non-fiction about all sorts of subjects. He's a well educated man - mostly self educated.
We didn't have long to chat but he asked me what I thought of the election result. There was a glint in his eye.
Yes, he voted. He made his own choice - for the party that has been returned. The candidate for his electorate didn't get elected. He didn't expect that but yes, he voted.
He's a full member of society because he voted according to his own wishes.

No comments: