Thursday 16 May 2019

Political robocalls do not

come under the "do not call" legislation - more's the pity.
I answer the phone. I hang up. I have never listened to any of the messages all the way through. 
There is a letter in this morning's paper suggesting that these calls do more harm than good. The writer may be right. I know that they won't cause me to change my mind. (I can't anyway. I have already voted.)
We have also had a forest of election material in the letter box. The "no advertising material", "no junk mail", and even (on one box I saw) "NO ELECTION RUBBISH" won't stop people putting things in the letter box.  I have looked at that material - because I like to be able to pick out the half-truths and the lies. Some of it is rather clever but most of it is just plain dreadful.
Yesterday there were no "automated surveys". I never answer those either. We had one from the party trying to retain power, one from the party the opinion polls tell us will win, another from a party even further to the left than that one, and a call from GetUp. The latter claims not to be a political party but seems to be comfortably in bed with the far left and even the far, far left. 
And I was accosted by GetUp in the street and then a member of Labor in the cheap shop when I was trying to get something for the Senior Cat. 
Trying to explain to these people that I vote according to party's policies about the things which matter most to me - like the environment, health, social services, education, housing, transport and the arts - doesn't seem to go down well. They don't want thinking voters. They simply want you to vote for them. It doesn't matter if you only agree with one policy.
I know how the Senior Cat voted. He told me this time. He discussd his preferences with me. It isn't something he has done before but he has ceased to watch the news. He doesn't want "that sort of negativity" in his life. Who can blame him? He reads the paper and, with my help, he has found the websites of the major parties. He has read their "policies" - and made some suitably acerbic comments about some.
We both know he may not cast another vote in his life time but he thought about what he was doing.
But he hangs up on robocalls too. Really the parties are not getting anyone to accept their invitation to the cake by inviting people this way.
 

No comments: