Thursday 19 March 2020

A visit to the dentist

is never a pleasant thing in my book. It has been made even more difficult in the past year. I had one appointment which needed to be cancelled because I didn't want to pass on the snuffles and sneezes the Senior Cat and I both had. The day I was going to reschedule was the day the Senior Cat ended up in hospital. Other things happened.
I knew I needed to go so I finally managed to prowl off  yesterday - with extreme caution. It means a trip on the train. At least it was mid morning and the train was almost empty. I wore a pair of disposable gloves.
When I arrived at the dental practice I was greeted with "hello, we are asking everyone to use the hand sanitiser". I held up my fore paws in the disposable gloves and the receptionist gave me a Chesire cat like grin and said, "Brilliant idea." I must remember that!
My dentist greeted me with a smile. She did not tell me off for not coming earlier. Instead she inquired after the Senior Cat in a way that suggested she was actually interested in the answer. She found a broken filling - something I had suspected. It wasn't serious but I groaned inwardly. Would it mean another trip? She also said she would need to do the routine removal of calculus and cleaning. I told her to do what was most urgent because I genuinely did not know when I would be able to get back to see her.
S.... looked at the clock. She looked at her list of patients. I could go away and come back in an hour...? I agreed. I could even go and have some lunch. No - not a good idea. I never eat within an hour or two of going to the dentist. But then she looked at the clock again and said, "I think we can do this now."
And she set to work. I was a good little cat. I managed to keep my mouth open and, for me, relaxed. Forty minutes later I had been x-rayed, my teeth were cleaned dentist style and a filling had been repaired. 
S.... smiled at me. "I won't need to see you for six months."
I thanked her. I also looked at the clock. I know she was running a little late for her next appointment. I know it means she had cut into her own lunch hour.
I wanted to hug her - but, virus aside, you do not hug your dentist.
Instead I will send her a little note today, a note to say I really do appreciate what she did.

No comments: