Friday 13 March 2020

The mobile bicycle man

is due to come today. I hope he does. My tricycle needs attention. It has needed attention for some time now.
No, it hasn't been unsafe. I would not pedal it in an unsafe condition. The brakes work well - my chief concern.
But there are things about bikes and trikes I know nothing about. I have some idea of what needs to be oiled occasionally but that is about it. 
The thing that bothers me most is that I cannot deal with a puncture. I know what to do but my paws are not strong enough to get the tyre off.  The Senior Cat used to be able to do it but he had to stop doing it some  years ago. My BIL will do it - but it has to wait until he has time. He works very long hours.
The last time I had a puncture - a couple of weeks back - M.... from across the road had the whole thing done in ten minutes. I paid him in pasties. (His wife is currently away visiting her dying mother and he is looking after the two small boys. It meant they had a meal he did not need to cook.)
In other words I manage to get punctures repaired. My little vehicle generally stays on the road and I have a means of getting to and from the shopping centre and the library. We eat and we read. 
But, I have been searching for another means of getting help for the bigger issues. This has been essential since the shop I relied on ceased business. 
The local bike shop simply isn't interested in anything other than fancy racing bikes or mountain bikes. A tricycle? Go away. We don't want to know. I pedalled off with my tail drooping. 
I searched the internet...
And that was where I found a mobile bicycle service that actually mentioned tricycles and wheelchairs!!! I emailed. Would they come this far? I didn't exactly hold my breath but I did let out a huge sigh of relief when the man at the other end said he would and would Friday the 13th suit? That was ten days away. He's busy. I sent a prompt "yes please!". 
He says he will be here about lunch time. I hope he will be as efficient as he sounds. I will feel safer knowing that my tricycle has been checked over and oiled and tightened and whatever else in all the right places.
Yes, it will cost something but it will be nothing like the cost of a single service for a car.
Hopefully Mr Mobile Bicycle Service will be able to keep me pedalling to and from the library and the shopping centre a bit longer. We need to read and we need to eat. 

No comments: