Thursday 8 July 2021

They have cancelled the Grand Prix

and I could not be happier. I would be even happier if they cancelled all Grand Prix races anywhere in the world.

We once had the GP here - until our neighbours "stole" it. There was weeping and gnashing of teeth. I kept my thoughts largely to myself but my feeling was one of relief. We were rid of one "motor sport" event.

Middle Cat and I disagree strongly on the topic of "motor sport". My nephews are involved in the business of racing go-karts - the big, serious sort. It also provides Middle Cat's husband with a hobby - building the wretched things. My nephews, one of them in particular, has done extremely well at this so called "sport". 

I look at it all and simply think that it is (a) dangerous and (b) environmentally unsound.  

Yes, I know. It's "sport". Most Downunderites worship the great god of Sport. I don't. (The Senior Cat doesn't either.)  The only game that has ever been of the slightest interest to me is cricket. It is the only game I have ever actively "participated" in too - but cricket doesn't rate in the Olympics. (I think it was played once in 1900.) It was a much better game in the middle of last century than it is now. 

It seems to me that all "sport" and all related physical pursuits have become too concerned with breaking records and pursuing some sort of impossible physical excellence with the "help" of science and drugs and diets an vast sums of money. It isn't the fun it might once have been.

So, if they have cancelled the Grand Prix and they are not going to be spending vast sums of money then I am more than happy. And... think of how quiet it is going to be! 

No comments: