Monday 6 March 2023

Having "conniptions" anyone?

Not so long ago Philip Ardagh asked if anyone still uses the word "conniptions".  Yes!

I had a friend who used it frequently. She died not so long ago and I will miss her saying things like "she was having conniptions". 

E... was what was once known as an "Infant School" headmistress. She was down to earth, straight talking, funny and kind. Children would have felt secure in her presence. They were certainly happy to talk to her. 

I don't know if she used "conniptions" with them. Quite possibly she did. It is the sort of word children like. I have told more than a few children about it. One of them used it in school recently. Her work was marked with "this is not a word".  I sent a message to the teacher who did at least have the grace to apologise and mark the work up. Child and I are now plotting some other unusual words...said child having complained they had not participated Lev Parikian's "World Cup of Random English Words".  I was told, "If I had of known about it I would have liked to know what words people like and find some new ones."

So now I have introduced this child, and others, to Cian McCarthy's "words for the weekend" on Twitter. I came across these by accident. Unlike WCoREW these are words he has found which are very different. He offers four for the weekend - choose one. I am naughty I have tried to put two into a sentence each time and send them back. This last weekend the words were "turveydrop", "boscage", "quadrivium" and "nuddle" and I managed to nuddle along to the quadrivium. No, you can hunt for those words yourself. That way you might remember one of them and add something as delicious as "conniptions" to your vocabulary. That would be scrumdifferous. 

With all that though I have yet to come across anyone else who uses "exturbadant". It seems that really is a word unique to this family. I am not sure which one of us coined it or used it first but we all used it from time to time. It (sort of) meant, "interesting, peculiar and different" all rolled into one. 

 

No comments: