Saturday 25 March 2023

I was "blocked" by a "constitutional lawyer"

which was interesting because, when I looked at his actual credentials on line, he is not a constitutional lawyer at all. He is posing as one and is vociferously informing anyone who dares to disagree with him that he is wrong. His views on the aboriginal Voice to parliament are apparently the only views allowed.

I won't tell you who he is because there are more "constitutional lawyers" out there doing the same thing. Some of us who dare to even question them or their credentials are now being threatened with legal action.  I do not have the time or energy for that. I also hate confrontation. I know there will be a great more of this sort of thing in the coming months.

All of this could have been avoided if the present Prime Minister had really listened to the advice he is telling us he wants, we need and indeed must have if we are not to be considered "racist". His actions have made a problem where there should be no problem.

I try not to be "racist". I try not to think or behave in a way that would make others consider I am "racist".  My paternal great-grandmother, a crofter's daughter from Caithness, was perhaps a woman before her time. She welcomed an enormous variety of people into her home. She fed (and sometimes even clothed) sailors from all over the world, she employed aboriginal people at the same rate as others on the dairy farm she started in retirement. Her children played with their children. Her attitude was passed down to her children and then her grandchildren and great-grandchildren. We know and understand what is expected of us as human beings. It is an acceptance and tolerance of others no matter what the colour of their skin, what they wear or what their level of education happens to be.  I sometimes feel she is still looking over our shoulders even though the Senior Cat, the last of the generation who knew her in this state, has gone.  We have been fortunate indeed.

I have no doubt at all that she would have been opposed to the "Voice" to parliament. Her attitude would have been, "This is not what we need."

She would have supported acknowledging the people who were here before white settlement. Almost everyone I know supports that idea - as do I. We could have had that in a preamble to the Constitution and it would have passed with a resounding "yes" - and rightly so. 

She would have opposed the Voice though, opposed the Voice as something divisive.  She would, I believe, have seen it as "racist". As one of our aboriginal Senators put it, are we to believe that aboriginal people will always be second class citizens in need of special treatment? I don't want that and I don't want anything that might help perpetuate that in our Constitution.

No comments: