Tuesday 11 April 2023

Parliament has gone "gender neutral"

or so we are told. Apparently "his" and "her", "she" and "he" are out. These will be replaced by "they" and "them". 

Time and money are being wasted on yet another woke idea in state parliament.

It makes me angry. To my way of thinking "gender" is not a "debate" at all. It is a fashionable issue at present and there are some who are using it to make themselves feel important. They want to be seen as "different" and want the rest of us to use the language they choose in order to have some measure of control over us. 

I was talking to a neighbour yesterday. We were putting out the bins that get collected very early. He mentioned the debate to me and we were discussing it when his older child came out to put something else in. He looked from his father to me and then back again as he realised  what we had been discussing and I asked, "What are you T..., a boy or a girl."

He gave me a look of disgust, "A boy of course." Then he realised I had absolutely no doubts about his gender and he said, "I think there are just males and females. Mum explained about gametes and stuff." (His mother is a doctor.)

"And what about people who are male or female and want to be the other thing?" I asked.

"I don't think they do want to be. They just think they do. Most of them just need to grow up. I mean there might be someone who really, really needs not to be what they are but I don't think there are heaps of them."

He went off and his father said, "Well, that's sorted."

T... is fortunate he has a parent who can explain such things to him. I wonder about all those who do not have parents who can explain in the plain English T...'s mother undoubtedly used. 

To me "they" and "them" are plurals. They are not a means to get around distinguishing people by gender. I grew up at a time when men were still expected to open doors for women and show them what amounts to common courtesies. That might be considered to be old fashioned now. Of course I will open the door for someone less able whatever their sex but I like the idea that people were perhaps more aware the needs of those around them. 

Trying to stamp out "gender" is not it seems just about trying to get around saying words which identify as male or female. It is trying to make us less aware of ourselves and those around us unless we conform to their point of view.

 

No comments: