Friday 28 April 2023

Public toilet use for transgender,

intersex and gender diverse people is now a topic of legislative review. In this morning's paper the mother of an autistic boy is also arguing that either he or she should be allowed to go into a toilet catering for the opposite sex because he cannot or will not go alone. 

In most instances there is a simple answer to the problem with the autistic boy. They can use the facility for the disabled.

But what about the rest of us? 

Some time ago now I was asked by a Muslim woman if it was safe to use the public toilet in our shopping centre. She had seen a man coming out of the facility and did not want to enter it if there was a man in there. The whole idea of using a facility that a strange man had used was clearly abhorrent to her. Another woman I know slightly came out at that point and I asked her if there was anyone in there. 

"There was a work man in there fixing a tap," she responded. The Muslim woman still looked anxious so I said, "I'll wait by the door and make sure he doesn't go in if he comes back."

The look of relief on her face was immense. I would have stopped the work man too. I would have asked him to wait. What the answer would have been I have no idea but I would have tried because the woman obviously felt so very uncomfortable.

I don't know anyone who actually likes using public facilities even when they are kept clean - and all too often they are not really clean. I certainly avoid using them if at all possible. Do most people avoid using them if they can? I suspect they do.

Men and women do not use public facilities in the same way. Men almost never speak to one another, may not even acknowledge one another but women do. More than one woman has sought help in a public facility. It is a place where women should feel safe. It should not be a place where they now feel vulnerable or uncomfortable. Perhaps we need to add facilities for those of alternate sexual orientation in the way we have facilities for people with disabilities.

The argument that "everyone uses the same toilet at home" is not one which can be readily transferred to the public arena. Perhaps we do - but we still shut the door.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I recently used a men’s toilet, because the sign outside was defaced. Nothing inside to show it was meant for men, just two cubicles and a hand basin. No one came in while I was there. I found my mistake afterwards, because the -further away - toilet’s (women’s) icon was clear. I should have guessed, because the first toilet you come to is usually for men, especially in places like shopping centres. Women and children have more corridors to hurry along.

LMcC

Anonymous said...

I do understand that some women want women-only toilets, for whatever reason.

The whole toilet provision problem needs more study and action, so it is fair and reasonable.

LMcC

Hilde said...

Women´s toilets usually are much cleaner than men´s.
Here, men´s toilets usually have one or two urinals and only one cubicle.I guess men who are used to urinals would make a terrible mess in a cubicle.
Hilde in Germany