Sunday 6 August 2023

Door knocking?

Don't do it here.

There is a polite message at our front door asking people not to knock. Obviously this does not include people I know or people I have asked to come. 

It does include people collecting for charity, religious groups, environmental activists and others.

Charity groups need to be aware that I have a limited income and I do what I can with that. I am not going to donate to people at the door or in the shopping centre because, more often than not, you are being paid to collect and the money is going to charities where as little as eighteen cents in the dollar is actually going on a service to help those in need. I want my money to go to those actually in need, not the person organising the distribution.

It is much the same with environmental organisations. They could do far more if they got out there and actually planted trees instead of handing out glossy pamphlets. (How many trees were cut down to print those?)

Religious groups infuriate me. I haven't seen any Mormons lately. Perhaps the pandemic has reduced their activities and I must admit the one lot before that just walked out again. They must have read the notice. 

I have had more than one run in with the Jehovah's Witnesses. They were so persistent that I ended up writing to their head honcho and threatening legal action. I would take it too. They prey on families of the deceased and I find that despicable. 

There is another persistent group from a local "Bible" church. I thought all churches were Bible based but apparently I am wrong. This lot believe that they, and they alone, are right and they are determined the rest of us should know it. It isn't really helping those in need.  They even tried confronting an Anglican priest who happened to be here one day. He was in civvies. He let them talk for a moment and then, gently, told them what his occupation was and suggested that they find better ways to support people in need. They scuttled off.

And now it seems there is to be a "massive" door knocking campaign for that "other" issue - the Voice issue. It will be "all about Yes". 

I have no doubt they will ignore the notice on the door. They will knock. They will see it as their right to "inform" me. That I might already be well informed, perhaps even better informed, will be of no interest to them. In this district they will inevitably come from the "reconciliation" group.

I wish they really were a "reconciliation" group. If they were they would think very differently. They would not be trying to divide the community with the proposed "voice". They would not be playing into the hands of people who are determined to forever maintain that gap by way of their grievance industry.  It will do so much harm. 

I'd like to try but I don't think they will listen to my voice.  

No comments: