Friday 25 August 2023

First prize, second...

third... and on it went. The judging for Handknitting and Crochet was done yesterday. We Stewards were working with a new judge and it was very interesting to have another approach to the task unfold in front of us.

I managed to learn a lot - always a good thing. There was some lovely work. The Best in Show for the knitting side was a lovely shawl with Celtic like cables. We all liked that but we all loved the fairy house made from a child's chair in crochet - of course it had to win Best in Show. It was not just well made but full of imagination. What a toy to play with.

We had some other lovely pieces too. A pair of socks knitted by a profoundly deaf woman I know. It is so good to see her actively participate in this. There were some more items by male knitters this year. That is so good. We want more of those.

I have notes to write up but I was very late getting home and I am just about to leave again as we still have to get the display together.

More news to come  -  and no, I did not disgrace myself. I managed to collect a couple of firsts as well.

 

3 comments:

Allison said...

Is there anywhere on line that we can see the things in the show that you've described this week?

catdownunder said...

If the paper does an article there might be. I think there should be more of this sort of thing. I don't have a camera (and the phone is too old) but if there are any available I'll try and get permission to put them up for you.

Allison said...

Thank you! I'd really love that. Over the years you've described some really lovely sounding things.