Monday 16 October 2023

"Reconciliation is not dead

and "racism" is more in your mind than is actually the case." Yesterday I said that to a very radical acquaintance of mine when she stopped to speak to me. I often see her walking her dog. We met because the dog got loose one day. I managed to grab it when it bounded up to me. His owner appeared to be grateful but, although I try to be polite, I feel uncomfortable in her presence. Her politics, about which she is very outspoken, are not my politics. 

Yesterday she told me, "Reconciliation is dead. People in this country are just f.... racists. It should have been "Yes" with a b... landslide. All those "No" voters have just trashed our international reputation."

I don't agree but all I said, as quietly and as calmly as I could in the face of the onslaught, was "Reconciliation is not dead and racism is more in your mind than is actually the case."

Of course we have "racists" in this country but the vast majority of people I know are more than willing to respect others on equal terms even when they need special consideration or assistance. They may hold private opinions about "aboriginals", "Arabs", "Jews", "Christians", "lesbians and homosexuals", "the blind", "the deaf" or "people with Down Syndrome" or any other group but they will be polite when they meet them. They will even go out of their way to help them.  

The referendum did not fail because of "racism". It failed for other reasons. It was the wrong question. It was also done without the necessary education, respect and detail people felt they needed. People did not want to be lectured by "leaders" of industry, "celebrities" and other "names". Requests to be told "How will this work?" were not met. They were asked to put too much trust in a government that may still be ahead in the opinion polls but won't be there forever.  

We need to stop looking back. We need to cease fuelling the fires of grievance. What matters now is not what happened in the past but what will happen in the future. What matters now is respect.

 

No comments: