Saturday 14 October 2023

Voting day

and I do not need to go off in the drizzle to vote. I have already voted. I voted at the same time as someone who had the right to vote early because she needed some assistance. 

That person asked me to accompany her and give her the minimal assistance she needed. I did not try to influence her vote in any way. It is not my role to do that. It would be wrong.  

It was also good to be able to cast that early vote. I could then say calmly to people, "I have already voted."  They then knew that there would be no point in trying to get me to change my mind - one way or the other.

I have since provided more assistance for people who require more help. Some have voted "yes" and some have voted "no" to the question being asked. It was my responsibility to make sure I did exactly as they asked. Only one person could not see the ballot paper but he wanted me to help because he likes to keep his voting intentions from the rest of his family. I have provided assistance for him before and I have never told anyone how he votes. It is his affair. My silence is his right and my responsibility.

I was questioned about this yesterday. "Aren't you tempted to fill it out the way you want to vote?"

The answer is "no". I am not tempted. I have never been tempted. I have been helping people with disabilities vote for more than thirty years and I have always done as they asked. That is what I am there to do. It is my responsibility to see they are not disenfranchised. One year there was an unusually long ballot paper at federal level. Our preferential voting system requires you to "vote above the line" or "fill in every box below the line". If you vote above the line you do as your party of first choice wants and most people do that. 

I had to assist two people who were voting below the line. It took a lot of time but I did not try to dissuade them in any way. They had thought about their choice and it was their right to have that choice on the ballot paper. I remember when my late friend J... had finished indicating his choices to me he smiled and, with extreme difficulty, he managed to raise a thumb. I knew he was voting for someone he actually knew. It was important to him. 

If I am again called on to assist I will do as those who need assistance want. If they choose something I strongly disagree with I will try not to even show what I think. I am there simply to do as they want. It is their vote, not mine.

 

No comments: