Thursday 2 November 2023

Changing phone service providers

should be a simple matter, shouldn't it?

I am still using the Senior Cat's old mobile phone. It works on something called the 3G network. That network is going to be put to sleep very soon. I have been told I need to "upgrade". 

The problems we have had trying to do this appear to be endless. I did manage to switch the account from his name to mine last year - after providing a death certificate for him and one hundred points of "ID" for me. Even then Telstra was not too happy with the idea. I had to make more than one visit to one of their "outlets" in order to get this done.  I can get a passport for the same number of ID points!

The plan, still under contract then, was the cheapest available from Telstra but the price suddenly went from a very reasonable one to much more. It was not competitive.

I loathe mobile phones. I loathe the need to carry one now. I dislike being "available" at all times rather than when I am home but I recognise there is a need to have one now. If for no other reason it is essential in an emergency. Phone boxes on streets are a thing of the past. People will not even allow even elderly cats like myself to prowl in off the street to seek help.

Middle Cat and Nephew Cat understand my feelings about all this. "There is another phone here you can have and we will transfer you over to a cheaper plan."

The "new-to-me" phone is on an upgraded network. Middle Cat set to work and ordered a new SIM card from the company she is with and that arrived without any trouble. Trying to transfer over has been another issue. She has spent hours trying to do this. I have needed to be there to give "permission" for her to talk to Telstra. This is of course quite ridiculous because I could be anybody at all giving their "permission". There are no "secret passwords" involved in this process. 

"You need to do this," they tell us. Then they tell us, "You need to do that" and "No, you can't transfer the number unless...". 

We were also told, "You can't do that. There's a contract in place."

We explain there is no longer a contract. I now pay by the month. No, there is a contract. We can't let you transfer the number and we can't release you from the contract...and on it goes.

Yesterday Middle Cat thought she was finally getting somewhere. Now I do not have a phone service at all. Telstra has managed to stop the number. We have to go and see them today - with one hundred points of ID for me - just to get the service reinstated so it can be transferred to the new provider.

Of course Telstra does not want to lose customers but this is not the way to keep them either!

 

No comments: