Monday 6 November 2023

Rapists and murderers have lost the right

 to be "afforded the courtesy of using their preferred pronouns" as has anyone else who commits any act of violence. 

Okay, you may not agree with me. You might agree with the Chief Justice in this state who has just sent out an edict that "it is important to recognise the correct pronunciation of names and use of the preferred gender pronouns is a matter of respect and is an important component of ensuring public confidence in the proper administration of justice". 

Someone apparently went from the Chief Justice to JK Rowling of Harry Potter fame and asked her what she thought of this. Most of us already know what she thinks. Why should perpetrators of such vile acts be the recipient of such courtesies? She repeated her belief that this is "state sanctioned abuse". 

I actually find it hard to believe that the Chief Justice, indeed the entire courts system, could be so brutally insensitive. I also find it hard to believe that anyone should believe that someone who has been found to commit such an act should be given the "respect" of their "preferred pronoun". They have lost all respect from me.

Many years ago now I was asked if I would act as "amicus curiae" for a man with "learning difficulties" who had been accused of very serious sexual misconduct. The legal firm in charge of his case wanted someone there to guide him through the court processes. I refused.  It was something which surprised the person asking me. I think she believed I would do anything to help someone with a communication disability. 

I refused because I actually knew the reputation of the man in question. He had been accused of committing such acts for some years prior to being charged. Until then he had always managed to avoid prosecution.  People had been sympathetic because "he likes to dress up in girl clothes" and "he just likes girls but they don't want anything to do with him".  He used to tell people he was "really a girl".

He was convicted but I wonder what would happen to him now. He was well aware he was committing criminal acts. Yes, he also needed help but he had not earned respect. I wonder if his victims would be required to address him as "she" now. Rowling is right. It would be an abuse of their right to be treated as genuine victims.

No comments: