Wednesday 27 December 2023

Boxing Day sales!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I did not dare leave home yesterday. There was chaos out there. The "sales" were on.

What sales? The Boxing Day sales. I suppose they appear in other parts of the world as well but they are definitely an institution here.

 My maternal grandmother would be off. She would be determined to find a "bargain". She would often come home with something she did not need but had bought because "it was a bargain". I remember a particular tablecloth. It was a nasty shade of pink but "it was such a bargain". Oh yes, she did use that but I don't think anyone else liked it. There were other things she did not use, often kitchen gadgets. There were clothes that had to be altered before they could be worn and then discarded because she found some fault with them.

I remember going with her just once. I hated every moment of it. The crowds were horrendous. I was jostled and knocked over more than once. It was my fault of course. It didn't matter that I was small and not exactly steady on my rear paws. At least my tears meant I was never asked on such a "treat" again.

Even my mother would read the advertisements in the paper in the days prior but at least she would say things like, "We really do need new sheets. Those might do. It might be worth the trip."

She would come home with the new sheets and nothing else. Shopping did not appeal to her the way it appealed to her mother.

Now it seems there are "sales" on all the time. There are 20% and 50% off "sales" here and there and everywhere. I discussed this with one of the women who works in a local clothing shop. She tells me that this is "normal" now. "And when there really is a reduction in price Cat I will let you know - if you need something." Thank you M... I appreciate that.  I know they can buy in clothes for $5 and sell them for $95...or more.  It is the rent, heating, lighting, cleaning, wages, insurance and more which sends the price sky high. 

Of course now one can also shop "on-line". This is all very well if you know exactly what you want, trust the site you are on and have enough money on the "credit" card you use solely for that purpose.

Yesterday though I avoided the "sales". I did not leave the house or garden. I had a lovely day doing some clearing out. I put the bins out and cooked a nice, light omelette after all the food of the day before.

I did not buy anything at "the sales". I do not have buyer's regret.  

No comments: