Thursday 5 September 2024

I skived off yesterday

and took Middle Cat off to the state's agricultural show. We ignored the horrendous packing mess for a few hours. 

Nephew Cat was actually free and took us there which made it a cheap day out. (I get two free tickets as a reward for being a steward in Handicrafts.) I packed sandwiches and some chunky pieces of tomato, cucumber and lettuce for sustenance, added some of the small apples Middle Cat has fallen in love with and plenty to drink. Food and drink is available of course but it is very expensive and not the sort of food I  want to eat.

We parted inside the gate and I headed off to Handicrafts while Middle Cat went to talk to the dogs, the cats and the goats. I could have gone with her for a short while but I dislike seeing animals penned in. (Middle Cat somehow manages to persuade owners that she is the one who can best de-stress them - and she does.) 

Handicrafts was busy. I took a seat at the information desk, answered questions, showed people where to find their items on display or where to find the items of friends and relatives. I explained how some things were made, why certain things they liked had not won a prize when other things they liked less had and was greeted by quite a few people I know in the craft world. I knew Middle Cat would turn up when she was ready to eat something and that it would be later rather than earlier.

Yes, she appeared with that dreamy "I have been talking to animals" look on her face. Yes, she liked some of the quilts on display and thought the cake decorating was "amazing" but she had not looked at the knitting, the crochet or the embroidery. We went out of the hall and found places to eat our sandwiches. Middle Cat chatted to two people here from the country who were finishing their lunch. When they left we were joined by three people. They were a bit hesitant and asked if the seats were taken. No, please join us. I could tell why instantly. The boy, about eighteen, was autistic. He was non-verbal but I sensed the noise, the people, the constant movement and bright colours were beginning to overwhelm him. Middle Cat involved his parents in conversation and left me to try and make contact with him.

Suddenly he pulled out a white cardboard box and undid it carefully. Then he showed me. It was a new mug, clearly intended for hot chocolate. Yes, he told me with gestures, it was his. He had bought it. He was obviously thrilled with his purchase. I asked him about whether he liked hot chocolate, whether he liked the colour of the mug and whether the lid was to stop the drink spilling out. He answered all this in his own way. 

Out of the corner of my eye I could see his parents, still talking to Middle Cat, watching us. Then the person they were waiting for arrived. Middle Cat and I rose to leave.  As I was turning his mother put her hand on mine and squeezed it very gently and I heard his father say, "Thanks." The boy was carefully returning his purchase into the box but he looked up and there was a proper smile on his face. It was absolutely the best part of the day.  Skiving off can pay off sometimes!

No comments: