Tuesday 30 August 2011

I am now in possession of a

portrait of my cat-self. I am catnapping on a calico background. I look comfortable and, may I say, cute?
The little picture is a piece of machine embroidery made by someone I know. She has one of those very fancy and expensive sewing machines that do complex embroidery. I have seen a good deal of her work. She made me a knitting bag. It has a picture of a cat asleep in a basket which also contains balls of wool and the needles.
Such things can be well made or badly made of course but hers are well made as are her cushions, her place mats, her wall hangings and other creations. She once made an entire jacket out of machine made motifs on lace. It is not something I would even contemplate putting on, let alone wearing, but it is a work of art. It is extremely well made.
I do not wear florals, frills or lace and the person who gave me the bag knows this. Her clothing goes to the other extreme. She buys plain garments and then embellishes them with embroidery, lace, beads, frills. She buys floral printed knitteds and embellishes them with beads.
It is all part of her personality. It suits her. It would not suit me.
But, she has given me the portrait of my cat-self catnapping and I like it. It is, unlike all the other things she has done, very simple. It is simply black stitching on a calico background. The design is composed of a minimum number of lines.
It is a haiku picture.

7 comments:

widdershins said...

Can we see it?

catdownunder said...

I will eventually try and get a picture of it when I get a sweatshirt or somesuch to sew it on. Will look later today to see if you have an e-mail on your blog site though and I can send you the picture it came from.

Anonymous said...

A haiku picture - what a wonderful image! Bob C-S

Sheeprustler said...

I also love the image of a haiku picture. And I am so contrary that I appreciate, for myself, both the embellishments and the spare style. You are lucky to have such a talented friend :)

widdershins said...

Humph!!! I just checked my blog to see if my 'contact me' widget was still there ... looks like when I change templates it disappeared ... will fix immediately. Grrr to Wordpress!

Anonymous said...

Show, show!

catdownunder said...

well now "anonymous" if I knew who you are...