Wednesday 13 May 2015

How do you stop someone from

worrying? Yes, I know I worry sometimes. I am possibly rather more anxious than most people I know. I also know that most people, if honest, will admit to worrying sometimes.
But, the Senior Cat is a world class worrier. I sometimes wonder how he has made it to 92 when so many things "could have" gone wrong or "might" happen. 
Middle Cat, who has given me her permission to say this and seemed to be making good progress at last, was taken back into intensive care two nights ago with very low blood pressure and an infection. My brother-in-law phoned to inform us of this. Fortunately I answered the phone and was able to inform the Senior Cat in an apparently calm and orderly fashion. I answered his questions. He said, "I feel sick."
Oh. He slept badly. He prowled the house yesterday. Normally he would be in the shed. (It was not fine enough to be in the garden.) 
Last night he phoned his nephew, son of Middle Cat and a doctor.
He was, as ever, kind and caring and said, "Don't worry. Mum's in the best possible place and they are doing all the right things."
Senior Cat sighed and, after he had put the phone down, sat there staring into space for a bit.
My good friend Holly - another doc - had already sent a reassuring e-mail which stopped my imagination running riot. I am not going to worry. I am going to take the attitude that there is nothing I can do to help on the medical side. I can be there for Middle Cat and Senior Cat. I can cook meals so my BIL eats in between work and hospital visits. 
But the Senior Cat is another matter. Middle Cat is his child. You never stop being a parent.

2 comments:

jeanfromcornwall said...

Sympathy to all involved - there is no cure for being a parent and I am pretty sure that worrying is written into the contract. The worst bit is not having anything specific to do - just being there is very hard.

catdownunder said...

Middle Cat rang Senior Cat this evening - she sounded very groggy but he looks and sounds much happier!