Sunday 15 May 2016

I don't "get" Eurovision

I really don't. 
I know. I know. It makes me a totally hopeless and unappreciative cat with no musical sense at all. 
But, I just don't "get" it. 
For a start why is Downunder allowed to enter something called "Eurovision".  Downunder isn't part of Europe. (It should be - but that is another blog post one day.) This "competition" will have to stop calling itself "Eurovision" if they let anyone else in.
And then I don't understand the music - if it is music. I suppose it is. The other night there was a brief clip on the news of some man singing with a wolf. I rather liked the wolf but I didn't care for the noise. 
Last night the reporter mentioned that the twenty tonnes of sound equipment for the finals had caused the stage area to sink 35mm. That sounds dangerous to me. 
And all those stage effects...is the music so bad they really need them? 
I  know, I really do, I don't appreciate this music. I don't understand it. I am not a particularly musical cat. I can't sing in tune - but at least I know why I can't sing in tune and I know when others are out of tune too. I was taught to read music and I know a certain amount about musical theory. All this Eurovision kerfuffle doesn't seem to match what I was taught but never mind. It's me. It has to be me. 
I might just put my paws over my ears and close my eyes and think of Beethoven. 

No comments: