Monday 9 July 2018

Andrew Bolt's piece about misandrists

in this morning's paper is something I have to agree with. Let it be said that I do not often agree with Mr Bolt  but this piece is one for which I have some sympathy.
I was immediately reminded of the first lecture I attended in Law School. It had nothing to do with the law we would be studying. 
The Dean delivered the lecture. He outlined the services we would be able to access. (I never did get to the Student Union Bar and I only accessed the Study Skills Unit to provide them with some help.)  He told us what was expected of us with respect to our studies. (There was a massive amount of reading to be done.) He told us how to hand in written work. (To be handed to the front office who would date/time stamp it and put it in the correct pigeon hole.) 
And he told us about the standard of behaviour which was expected. I don't know whether he did that every year. I suspect he did but perhaps he was looking at a trio of "bib and braces" women in the front row. Their style of clothing said, "We are radical feminists. Don't mess with us."
He explained that there were very definite rules of behaviour in court. Breach those rules and you  might find yourself in serious trouble. Fair enough. 
But he also went on. He told us that, in the law school, men were expected to open doors for women. That included male staff opening doors for female students - even lowly first year students. 
    "You will allow that to happen," he said, "Because that is the way things are done here. Conversely of course if a woman sees a man with both hands full she will open the door for him. You will all thank each other."
The radical feminist group was not happy about that. They should have been. I was not happy that he had felt it was even necessary to say such a thing. He should not have needed to speak to us about what should be common courtesy.
I like men to open doors for me. It makes my life much easier because I normally have a walking stick in one hand and a bag in the other. I have been known to fall over trying to open a heavy door.  When a man helps me lift my tricycle on to the train I am genuinely grateful. When a man moves an obstacle out of the way - or even lifts the trike and, on a couple of occasions me, over an obstacle caused by footpath or road works, I am only too happy to accept the help.  AND I make very, very sure I say "thank you".
Yes, it is courteous to do those things. It is also essential for my safety to accept those things.  
If help is not offered because men have had women be discourteous and spurn assistance then it is not just the men who are the victims - it is women who need help and don't get it.

No comments: