Wednesday 25 July 2018

To the person who left a tissue

in their pocket and then, helpfully, put their clothes in the washing machine....
I am ready to strangle you!
Growl!
What is it with tissues? Yes, I know they are useful. If you happen to have a snuffly, sneezing sort of cold or you want to wipe the ice cream laden lips and nose of a toddler then a tissue is ideal.
But, they are NOT designed to be washed.
I am not sure how environmentally friendly a tissue is. It is probably not a particularly good thing. I know only a little about their manufacture - and I only know that because my late godmother's husband was the accountant for a major paper mill that produced those things - along with toilet paper.
Like everyone else I know I prowl into the supermarket and, if I need a new box, then I go to the last aisle before the freezer section and buy a box. They are commonplace these days. You can buy them in small packets, small boxes, middle size boxes and large boxes. They mostly come in white now - although they once came in all sorts of pastel colours. Occasionally something impregnated with "lavender" or "rose" or "eucalyptus" or "aloe vera" will appear. I prowl past those and reach for plain white in whatever brand happens to be "on special" or, at least, the cheapest.
They are convenient. I pass the box over to visitors on occasion and their look of relief is thanks in itself. I grabbed a wodge of them the other day and gave them to a workman on the street - while his mate went back to their first aid kit in the vehicle parked in the next street. Yes, they are good for holding around a minor cut too.
When I was teaching we made flowers out of tissues. I've forgotten how to do it now but the children thought they were nice and took them home to their mothers.
Yes, tissues are definitely useful.
The Senior Cat gets through rather a lot of tissues these days. We both regret the fact that the genuinely "man-size" tissues seem to be a thing of the past. The current version of tissues are a "one-blow and discard" sort only. 
So, what on earth was he doing with a tissue in his pocket?  And why do they disintegrate into thousands of pieces?

2 comments:

helen devries said...

Handkerchiefs and bandages only here.

catdownunder said...

I tried banning tissues. It didn't work!