Sunday 8 July 2018

When will the football

be over? 
It's supposed to be a "game" isn't it? It seems more like a major international war.
I really don't care who wins or who loses. I am tired of the "analysis" and dissection of the play of each member of a team. It reminds me of the nonsense spoken about wine. You know the sort of thing I mean - the rubbish about "bouquet" having "an underlying hint of vanilla" or a "touch of blackcurrant". (That's an insult to blackcurrants in my view.)
There are obscene amounts of money being spent on all this so-called game. I wonder how many people have spent thousands of dollars they cannot afford to go and scream themselves silly while watching people kick a bit of leather around a field?
Yes, I know....for some people this is important. It's the highlight of the year for them...or is it every two years? 
Coming home yesterday I had to brake very suddenly - in the middle of the pedestrian crossing - because someone dressed in football supporter clothing dashed in front of me. They were jay-running (I can't say "walking") in order to catch a bus to get to their all important match.  The person coming behind me walked into me and started to yell at me - until he realised what had happened. He did have the grace to apologise but it wasn't pleasant, especially as I was already feeling very upset about something else which had happened a little earlier.
I couldn't help wondering what would have happened if the pedestrian lights had been red rather than green. Would the jay-runner have run out into the traffic? Quite possibly. 
It frightens me. 

2 comments:

jeanfromcornwall said...

Football began as an amusement for apprentices (teenagers), so that they could run off their excess energy and aggression. Now it is a money-making system.

There are a lot of Born Again Teenagers around - most of them male.

Funny old world.

catdownunder said...

Some of them are really strange Jean!