Friday 8 March 2019

Mobile phones

and electric scooters and far too many school children.
I had to go into the city yesterday. I do not like going into the city. I only go in if I absolutely must.
Yesterday was a must. Middle Cat  has insisted I "must" have a mobile phone. She sneakily didn't get at me. She got at the Senior Cat and made him so worried that he insisted. 
I had a mobile phone. I used it twice in more than that many years. On both occasions it was to warn the Senior Cat that I would be later than we both anticipated. I would leave it on so that he could contact me if he needed to - but he never did.
And then the wretched thing would not work. My nephew said it was the old network and I needed a new phone. I put it off - mostly because the Senior Cat never uses his now. Twice when I was out all day I took his with me but I told him and Middle Cat that they were only to call me in an emergency. 
I ordered a new phone - one with buttons that suit my paws. It eventually arrived. I went to get the SIM card fitted into it. I put it on to charge. 
Nothing has happened. It doesn't work. It is not the phone. It is the SIM card. No, I don't have the code for it. I was not given a code for it. I remember setting up the old phone. Youngest Nephew helped. I had to answer all sorts of questions about my date of birth and location and what I did for a living and the numbers of my passport and my proof of age card and my birth certificate and half a dozen other things. I was told all of this was for "security" and to stop people like terrorists accessing phones - all nonsense of course. But, I was definitely not given a code for it because I took the original packing that came with the SIM card and the paperwork that went with it. For once, because it was so horrendously difficult, I actually kept everything - and I mean everything.
Now I am told I have to make  yet another trip into the city with my passport and a string of other documentation just so that Middle Cat can stop harassing the Senior Cat. 
We all managed for years without these wretched things. Yes, there were times when it would have been convenient to have one but we managed. 
What will really infuriate me now is if Middle Cat does what she is almost certain to do. When I finally get this issue sorted out and I have a working phone she is likely to give the number to other people. Nothing will irritate me more than being out and about and having the wretched thing ring. 
If that happens I am likely to ignore it altogether - and then they won't be able to contact me in an emergency. 

1 comment:

Jodiebodie said...

Oh dear! I was thinking as I read along "whatever you do, restrict the people who have your number or you will never have any peace" Does Middle Cat want you to have a mobile phone more for her own convenience than yours?