Saturday 30 March 2019

What I do in my "spare time" is

surely up to me? If I am not doing anything illegal or harming anyone else then surely I should be free to pursue my own interests?
I  really do wish people would stop telling me things like "you ought to get out more" and "you should join a book group" or "you could get involved in...."
Now there are times when I would like to get out more than I do but, realistically, I can't do that. I can't just drop everything and wander off for the day. Whether I like it or not I have other responsibilities. The Senior Cat needs to be cared for. He has reached the point where he can no longer safely make himself a cup of tea. Yes, I could leave a thermos full of tea and he would accept that but it is my responsibility to do one or the other. It means that if someone invites me to stop for a cup of tea myself and he is not expecting that I have to calculate the time available and let him know I will be later than he expects. I have had people say, "Why do you bother?"  Why would I not bother? He's my responsibility. He is old and frail and needs to be cared for.
I don't want to join a book group. I don't want to be told what to read. My reading time for pleasure is limited and there are already more books than time in my life.
And I don't want to be involved in any more groups. I can't volunteer at the local charity shop on a regular basis. They know that and they also know they can call on me when someone comes in needing help to fill out forms and the such like. Isn't that volunteering? I also have my regulars on the pedalling route. It may not be official but isn't it volunteering of a sort?
I want time to read and knit and crochet and keep up with friends in foreign parts via email and more. I don't want to go to meetings and allow even the things I am concerned about to take over my life. I spent years going to meetings, being on committees, writing letters,  organising events and more. Things are done differently now - and often in ways which are far less effective. It is up to the next generation and the generation after that. I'll still help with the occasional letter and giving up a day here or there if asked but no, I want some "me" time too. Remember, I am still working. Is it selfish to want "me" time?
I have been thinking a lot about this recently because someone asked me if I would again take on a position I once held. The answer to that is more complex but it has made me think.
I am going to do something I want to do each day. 

2 comments:

Momkatz said...

Yes, of course, you need "me" time, Cat. You get so little, you need more! I am very happy you have decided to do something for yourself every day.
Love from Big Sister Cat

Jodiebodie said...

Everybody needs 'me' time lest one loses the essence of 'me'. Doing something for yourself every day is important for your wellbeing - one cannot care for others if one doesn't know how to care for oneself first. You do not need to justify your self-care to anyone else. It is entirely reasonable to say 'no' to others in order to take care of yourself and your own interests.