Tuesday 1 October 2019

Changing teaching strategies

mid stream is not easy.
I am supposed to be teaching a class on Saturday. At one point there was just one person who had signed up for it and I was sincerely hoping that I would not have to do it at all. Now there are twelve people signed up for it. That is too many for a hands on craft class where you have a limited amount of time in which to teach something.
I am not kidding myself that it has anything to do with my popularity or lack of popularity as a teacher. It hasn't. Just let me say it won't solve the problem the group has created for itself.
But the class itself still needs to be taught. I have had to rethink how it might be done. If people are going to spend an hour with me then I am determined they will, if at all possible, learn something.
Had I known there would be so many I would have changed the preparation I have asked them to do - but it was too late for that. I am stuck with it.
So, this week, I have been doing some extra preparation. It has reminded me of being back at school - as a teacher, not a student. We didn't do a lot of "art" as such in the regular class I taught. I taught them to knit instead - something that proved to be a good thing. I know more than one of them still knits - and that includes one of the boys.
But,when we did do "art" I often had to prepare multiple things before hand. It wasn't that they could not have done these things themselves but, knowing that they could, I decided they should get on with the creative part. The so-called art lessons were supposed to be enjoyable - measuring and cutting could occur in maths lessons instead.
What I do on Saturday won't be "fun" but I hope it will be interesting. I want people to learn something. I know most of them will never use what they learn but it may help them understand other things they already know or might want to learn in the future. 
I suppose that is what really matters.
But, twelve students and one hour? If I divided my time equally between them then they would get just five minutes each. Of course it won't work like that anyway because there will need to be information given out to everyone and some students will need more help than others.
I hope those who don't get the attention they probably deserve will understand it is because they are the more able ones. 
 

No comments: