Thursday 3 October 2019

The "self-serve" checkouts at the supermarket

were all occupied yesterday - and there were three people waiting to use the "cash-only" one anyway.
The single main checkout which was open also had a queue.
    "Go to the 15 items or less one," I was told.
So I did - only to be told off in no uncertain terms by the person working there. 
     "I am well aware of what the problem is," I told her, "If there were sufficient staff on your job as well as mine would be much easier."
She clearly didn't believe me.
I was also told - yet again - that I "need to get a loyalty card". And no, I don't want the cheap plastic "free" toys they were trying to "give away". It was no use trying to explain either. I was the one who was at fault - no, the customer is not always right it seems.
I really am fed up with all of this. Prices are going up and service is going down. Surely it should be possible to actually buy something in a supermarket without all this.
I object strongly to using a credit/debit card to pay for my purchases.  Their "rewards" cards make me want to scream. I know how the data they collect from such transactions is used and I do not wish to be. The company in question does not need to know precisely how I, as an individual, spend my money. I do not need their "targetted" advertising, "special offers" and much more. It infuriates me that there are now places which won't take cash - even though it is still legal tender. 
    "Get used to it Cat. It will all be cards in the future."
Yes, it probably will but it isn't right now. I really hate all this data collection, this intrusion into our lives. It isn't designed for our convenience but the convenience and profit of others.
I came home and paid the man who mows our little patch of front lawn. I paid him in cash. I know he does declare it because I have seen the books he keeps. (His wife does the paper work and there was a question she once needed answered.) Mr Lawn-Mower-Man also came in and had two glasses of lemon cordial. He doesn't declare that but I am sure there are some who would say he should. I don't think we pay him enough but he says it is nice that, if I'm around, he can come in.
    Is it any wonder the cashless economy is thriving?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I read "The Handmaid's Tale" by Margaret Atwood when it first came out. When the widespread use of credit/debit cards started, I thought how forsighted she had been. To make women economically dependent on men, cancel their cards and deny the use of cash.

Our local shopping centre has the big two chains in it, a few doors apart. One has adequate DIY tills, and a reasonable number of manned ones. The other has no DIY tills and few manned ones. Both have a reasonable number of people about the shop to ask questions of; the one with few people on the tills has more in the shop, but does not have as nearly as many customers.

I think this lack of staff in useful places is what makes the difference between the shops. I am astonished that someone does not come from HQ to look at things like this.

I use cash frequently, though sometimes it is easier to use a card. (The money gets taken from the account very rapidly, anyway!)

LMcC