Monday 30 September 2019

So teachers don't need to be numerate?

There is a piece in this morning's paper about student teachers threatening to take legal action because they won't get their teaching qualification if they can't pass the literacy and numeracy tests.
I don't know what the literacy and numeracy tests involve. I do think all teachers should be able to read, write and do basic arithmetic. After that it should surely be a matter of what it is they are going to teach?  Does a teacher of children who do not yet go to school really need to have advanced algebra and trigonometry? 
I was taught basic research skills twice at university. The first set of  research skills was in the area of psychology. I had to learn "statistics" along with how to obtain samples and much more. In my last year at that university I was given the task, along with another person, of writing a questionnaire that went out to more than a thousand schools. In order to do these things I needed to be both numerate and literate. I was also given the role of writing the questionnaire because my doctoral supervisor struggled to do such things. He was a literate man but he struggled with something like that. 
    "Ask Cat," he would tell his secretary. (It was in the days when senior staff had secretaries.) His secretary would sigh and say, "He needs a letter written about...."
But he would sigh when it came to trying to help me understand statistics. It didn't help that I doubted, and still doubt, their value in what I was doing.
When, some years later, I was doing law we had to do a subject called, "Legal writing and research." It was compulsory. It taught students how to find information and how to cite it. I instantly saw the value in that. It presented no problems to me. When the other first year students were complaining about it I told the English as a second language students I was helping, "It's the most important subject you will ever do."  Law students need to be literate.
But I can also remember having to draw and explain a bell curve to a member of the law school staff. Statistics were completely outside their area of expertise. There had never been any need for them to know about a bell curve until then. I understood and simply accepted that. They knew a great deal more about their area of law than I would ever know. They had the intelligence to get the information they needed when they needed it. 
And I think it may be the same for teachers. They need to be able to read and write and do arithmetic and they need to be able to do those things well enough to get more information if they need it. I don't think a pre-school teacher needs advanced mathematics but they need to be competent at basic arithmetic. They need to be able to read, write and spell.
I suppose the question now is whether they need to be able to do basic coding as well as play the coding games they are supposed to teach. I am not sure it will make them better teachers. It might -
but we might also lose some of the best potential teachers because they are required to know things they don't really need to know.
We would have lost an important piece of research if my doctoral supervisor hadn't helped me with statistics. He would not have written a book if I had not helped to write a questionnaire. 
Surely it is more important to work together on the things that really matter?

5 comments:

Allison said...

I'm curious. How does Senior Cat feel about the issue?

Judy B said...

My question is how did they get into uni to study teaching if they didn't pass reading, writing and arithmetic at school? Then how did they do research during their uni course? Sorry, my numeracy skills are a bit off ... that is wo questions!

Judy B said...

And spelling needs some attention too ... though I will blame tired fingers at the end of the day for 'wo' instead of two!

catdownunder said...

Allison it would be kinder not to inquire about the Senior Cat's feelings on this matter. It should be enough to say he is NOT impressed.
I don't know how a lot of students get into university Judy. I do know they should not be there.

Anonymous said...

My Son is caught up in this in NSW. He failed the numeracy section but passed the literacy. He said that it was an external examination which was at his cost AND it was a timed test, no calculators and the need to pass was not just 50% but much higher. He now has the opportunity of sitting it twice more. He is a DRAMA teacher and has picked up English as a secondary subject. He is also having an issue with Coding - which he failed. Now going to another Western University to get some extra help with Coding, before he re-sits this. He has a huge Hex fee and would never have started a Teaching Degree if he had failed the numeracy and literacy before he started this Degree. It would be such a shame for him not to finish his Degree because someone in the Teaching System recommended this be introduced into the Curriculum. I see where the United Kingdom have abandoned their Literacy and Numeracy testing … why? Apparently student teachers were not taking up this noble profession.